Students of Hong Park Tae Kwon Do College are expected to maintain a high standard of integrity and exemplary behaviour. All students should familiarize themselves with the Student Oath, and the Rules of the Do Jang. Revisit this page often to remind yourself of the school’s expectations, and those of your instructors.
Our School motto is a quote from Master Hong Park:
If there would be constant application and industry with patience and modesty, then nothing is impossible.
Students will find additional resources below the ‘Student Tools’ button in the menu.
The articles provided are to remind you of the benefits of your training as well as the expectations and realities you have, are, and will experience on your Black Belt journey.
The Student Oath
- To be loyal to my nation and to my parents.
- To be obedient to my Instructor.
- To obey school rules and regulations.
- To respect my seniors and practice patience and show courtesy to my juniors.
- To be righteous and show good conduct.
These tenets are based on the original principals of the Hwarang-Do. During the Early Dynasties of Korea the Hwarang were credited with the spread of Taekwondo through out Korea. These noble warrior youths studied, ethics, philosophy, riding, archery, swordplay, military tactics and of course TaeKwonDo. This lead them to develop a set of guiding principles based on the Five Human Codes of Conduct as established by a Buddhist Scholar named WonKang.
Please be sure to memorize this oath as it is an important part of your training.
Rules of the Dojang
- Always greet Kwan Jang-nim, Sabum-nim and Black belts with a bow. This applies inside, and outside the Dojang.
- Always bow to the flags when entering or leaving the dojang.
- When bowing, make sure you put everything down first. This includes bags & water bottles, or anything else you may have in your hands.
- When bowing you must always stand at attention, never from a sitting or kneeling position.
- Uniforms and belts must be worn at all times, unless permission is given by Kwan Jang-nim or Sabum-nim.
- No clothing shall be worn under you uniform. Sleeves must never be rolled up. And your uniform is to be kept clean at all times. (Girls can wear a shirt under uniform if needed.)
- Your belt must always be worn around your waist. Never around your neck.
- Never face Kwan Jang-nim, Sabum-nim, Senior black belts or the flags while fixing your belt or uniform.
- While in the Dojang, students are expected to be disciplined in their attitude and behavior. No profanity, loss of temper, horseplay, or any display of lack of discipline will be tolerated.
- Students must maintain a serious attitude at all times.
- Kwan Jang-nim and Sabum-nim are to be given strict attention at all times. Always answer yes sir/ma’am. Nodding is impolite.
- Always ask permission from Kwan Jang-Nim or Sabum-nim before leaving the dojang.
- Students are expected to attend class regularly, and notify the office prior to any absences. Be on time for class.
- Personal hygiene is essential. Fingernails and toenails must be kept trimmed.
- No food, gum, candy or drinks are permitted in the dojang at any time.
- No jewelry (i.e. earrings, necklaces, bracelets, rings, or watches) are to be worn during class.
- You will act as a representative of your school at all times. Your respect and manners are to be applied at all times. All rules extend beyond the dojang into everyday life.
- Taekwondo is a way of life, and must be treated that way.